Steel Plant Ecosystem
Site Location Warszawa, Bielany District
Project Scales XL/L - territory / urban + architecture
Site Family CHANGING METABOLISM - From linear to circular economy
Post-competition phase Land-use study, local land development plan
How Can the Site Contribute to the Productive City?
The Warsaw Steel Plant (Huta Warszawa), opened in 1957, was, at the time, located on the outskirts of the city, similarly to other industrial facilities. Due to the ongoing spatial development of Warsaw and the increased accessibility (the bridge, metro services, the steel plant area has become part of the urban fabric. The areas surrounding the steel plant serve various functions and are diverse in terms of scale. In addition to the industrial, storage and†commercial areas (including small-scale crafts), there are forests and parks, a cemetery, large housing estates and a shopping centre. Although owners of the plant changed several times and the facility was subject to restructuring proceedings, it maintained production continuity, and is currently a prosperous company. The plant area reserves provide an opportunity to incorporate its production function into the urban space.